The Cannabis Plant
Cannabis sativa is a species of the Cannabinaceae family of plants. Cannabis comprises the chemical compound THC (delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol). This compound is known to be responsible for most of the typical psychoactive effects of cannabis. A “high” is experienced when cannabis is consumed. Cannabis is an annual herbaceous plant with two primary classifications, namely Indica and Sativa. Marijuana and hemp belong to this plant genus. Hemp is a member of the Cannabis sativa species only. Marijuana can be a member of either. The resinous secretions of the cannabis plant are known as hashish. They can be smoked or eaten. The fiber of the cannabis plant is cultivated as industrial hemp used in textile manufacturing. Marijuana is a controlled substance, but the cloth is used publicly and for medicinal purposes.
What is hemp?
Hemp is a cannabis plant that is harvested commercially for its seeds, stalks, and flowers. Because it grows sturdy and tall up to 2 to 4 meters in height, it’s typically cultivated outdoors. Cannabis plants produce seeds that are often used in food and cosmetics. The stalks are the source of fiber used in constructing materials and clothing. Flowers are grown for its cannabinoid content. The cannabinoid content of hemp is different from Marijuana. High THC content makes hump psychoactive. If the level of THC is below 0.3%, there is no effect. Hemp has high concentrations of Cannabidiol CBD.
What is Marijuana?
The dried leaves and flowers of the cannabis plant are called Marijuana. It is a cannabis plant that is harvested for its euphoric, relaxing, and psychoactive properties. Unlike hemp, the seeds and stalks of Marijuana aren’t used commercially as a food source. Growing cannabis is majorly useful because of its highly resinous flowers containing a profusion of cannabinoids. The THC content of Marijuana is much greater than it is in hemp.
It is banned under the Controlled Substance Act of 1970. Marijuana is federally illegal in the USA. But states have made medical or recreational marijuana use legal. It can be smoked through a pipe, hand-rolled into a joint, and can also be consumed in an edible in the form of cookies, brownies, and gummies. The compounds which have a structure alike THC are known as cannabinoids.
If a person consumes cannabis, Sativa, Marijuana, or products derived from Marijuana, the experience is variable and will depend upon the dose, method of administration, prior knowledge, any simultaneous drug use, personal expectations, mood state and the social environment in which the drug is consumed. It is an altered state of consciousness. The user may feel “high”, very blissful, euphoric, relaxed, friendly, and wanton. It leads to distorted perceptions of time and space. A cannabis consumer may feel more sensitive to things around them, and may also experience a more abundant sense of taste, sight, smell, and hearing. The increased pulse and heart rate, bloodshot eyes, dilated pupils, and often increased appetite are added. High THC levels can lead to impaired coordination and concentration, making activities such as driving a car or operating machinery problematic and dangerous.
Cannabidiol CBD can also lead to negative experiences, such as anxiousness, panic, self-consciousness, and paranoid feelings. People who use large amounts of THC may become numb or disoriented. They may experience toxic psychosis, sometimes not knowing who they are, where they are, or what time of the day it is. High CBD and high THC content may also cause fluctuating emotions, incomplete thoughts, paranoia, panic attacks. Hallucinations and feelings of unreality are common among Cannabidiol CBD consumers.
Much of the cannabis grown and consumed is around 16% THC. So, this is considered a high THC. It is often a misconception that any cannabis strain with under 25% THC must be noticeably less potent than average. However, even a pressure containing 4% or higher level of content is considered to be a high CBD. Some CBD rich cannabis strains are Candida, fast eddy, sweet, pure CBD, etc.
The effects of inhaled cannabis are experienced within minutes. They reach their peak in around 10 to 30 minutes. Edible cannabis which may contain a higher amount of THC. So it takes a lengthier period to reach full effect as it must be absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract. The influence of edible cannabis can last up to 12 hours.
Medical uses of Marijuana include Marinol used for the control of nausea and vomiting caused by chemotherapeutic agents. It is used in the treatment of cancer, and to stimulate appetite in AIDS patients, Cesamet is used for the control of nausea and vomiting caused by chemotherapeutic agents used in the treatment of cancer. It is also used in PTSD, Parkinson’s disease, and spinal cord injury.
CBD oil prepared from Hemp v/s marijuana
- A large number of CBD oils on the market are full-spectrum extracts. They contain not only CBD but also many other cannabinoids and terpenes found in cannabis plants. The significant difference between CBD oil derived from hemp and CBD oil derived from Marijuana is the ratio between THC and CBD. CBD oil derived from hemp usually contains high concentrations of CBD. However, its THC content doesn’t exceed the legal 0.3% limit. While the oil products of Marijuana have high CBD strains, but it also comes with significant amounts of THC, 5% to 30%.
- In the United States, hemp is legal. This applies to both federal and state laws, but different countries have different marijuana laws. Ten states have legalized marijuana for medical and recreational use. However, on the national level, Marijuana is an illicit substance, and its cultivation, sales, possession, and transportation are deliberated a federal offense.
- Since the THC content of oils derived from hemp has no intoxicating effects. One cannot get high off of CBD hemp products. In its place, you may feel relaxed, more alert, free of physical and mental discomfort, and notice constructive changes in your overall well-being. CBD oil from Marijuana can get you high, although the psychoactive effects of such products are less potent since CBD counteracts THC’s intoxicating properties. Also, marijuana-derived CBD oil acts as a strong pain-reliever, relaxant, anti-depressant, and can tackle a wide range of chronic conditions.
- Full-spectrum CBD hemp oil products are consumed as dietary supplements. They can be found among other over the counter products in pharmacies, health stores, headshops, and specialty stores across the United States. CBD hemp oil restores the chemical balance in the body by stimulating the human endocannabinoid system and enhances the overall quality of one’s life. CBD oils derived from Marijuana can be found in medical or recreational dispensaries, depending on the state.
- The states in the United States which have allowed consumption of Cannabis Sativa and permitted farmers to grow cannabis are Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Dakota, New York, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Utah, Vermont, and Washington.
Cannabis flowers and entourage effect:
Male and female cannabis plants show their sex by what grows in between their nodes. Pollen sacs will grow on a vigorous plant to spread seeds. Stigma will ripen on a female to catch pollen. These differences can be noticed weeks before they start serving their purposes in the reproduction cycle. These are called “pre-flowers.” These begin to grow four weeks into growth, but they may take a longer time depending on how quickly the budding phase occurs. By the sixth week, you would probably find the difference between a female flower and a male flower and determine the sex of your plant.
Pre-flowers can initially be extraordinarily trivial and hard to identify with the naked eye, but you can use a magnifying glass to get an improved look. You can examine the nodes of the plant and look for either the early growth of small sacs on a male or two bracts on a female, which will ultimately produce the hair-like stigma. Though there are other methods to conclude what sex the plant is, examining pre-flower formation is the most reliable. Eradicating males early on is important for two reasons: it frees up space in your garden so females can grow bigger and stronger, and it prevents males from pollinating females.
Hermaphrodite cannabis can have both sex organs and self-pollinate. When a female plant ripens both male and female sex organs, it is considered a hermaphrodite. This means your cannabis plant is now capable of producing pollen that can pollinate your garden. The entourage effect happens when CBD is consumed with other compounds from the cannabis plant, rather than in seclusion. The philosophy is that by using the whole hemp plant rather than a singular aspect, there’s an enhancement in the health benefits and overall therapeutic effect of cannabinoids.
Cannabis sativa, which is a compound believed to be responsible for most of the typical psychoactive effects of cannabis—one experiences “high” when it is consumed. Marijuana and hemp, its plant genus differ from each other. The level of THC for cloth is below 0.3%. There is no effect, but it has a considerable concentration of CBD. Marijuana is federally banned in the United States, but some states like New York allow its medical use. A CBD rich substance and high THC content can get you high. There is a different effect of oils derived from hemp and cannabis. These plants produce female flowers and male flowers. The entourage effects of Hemp and Marijuana are different. The answer to what is better between hemp CBD and cannabis CBD lies in the fact that hemp CBD can relax and reduce your suffering without getting you high, which is more beneficial without causing more significant problems.